1. Am I the only person who, when they read sentimental Pinterest lists of what girls want their marriage proposal to be like and the list includes some variation of “he’ll ask my father’s permission”, has an immediate urge to sneak out and elope? In all honesty, what’s with this thing? The Catechism says that although (adult, obviously) children should ask for and respect their parent’s advice on the choice of a spouse, the parents do not have authority to interfere. Besides, I’m not property; I don’t need my future husband to ask my dad to make sure he’s willing to hand me over. I’m thinking this idea is some ill-considered method of showing that you’re a traditionally feminine girl who still thinks obedience is important. I consider myself traditional, but as far as I’m concerned, this custom is at least somewhat opposed to the way the Church treats marriage. The only person whose consent is relevant is mine and his. In fact, the Church discourages the custom of giving away the bride at a wedding. So when/if I marry, my parents’ blessing? Yes. Permission? No.
2. I’ve been preparing for the Tour de fleece by spinning up some unfinished projects and miscellaneous bits of fiber. I’ve done about all I’m going to get done until it starts, I think, so for the next week I’m going to work on knitting projects. I think I can finish the second sock of a pair and a small scarf pre-Tour. Indeed, I just finished a pair of Moody Stockings this morning. It took me just nine days to knit them. That might sound like a long time, but at a fine gauge and interspersed with quite a bit of spinning, it’s very good time for me.
3. One of our toilets overflowed again. This is the second time in two years. So right now there is a very large yellow truck in front of our house. Alas.
4. I’m going to start watching Babylon 5 soon. I got Season One from my best buddy, the public library. I don’t know whether I’m going to like it or not, but I believe Jimmy Akin of apologetics fame watched it, since he has a few posts about it at his blog (do a search), and it’s rated PG so I’m thinking it shouldn’t be too inappropriate. I haven’t watched it yet, though, so don’t take my word for it.
5. We got some really delicious almond butter from Trader Joe’s the other day. I had a tablespoon in my oatmeal with a teeny bit of nutmeg in place of the cinnamon since we were out, a couple drops of vanilla, and some brown sugar as well as the obligatory milk. Yummy! (Note that nutmeg is actually a dangerous hallucinogen in high doses, as in 1-6 whole “nuts”. But then, no one is exactly in danger of consuming that much in a sitting by accident, unless you’re the type to make a batch of luscious nutmeg muffins and then eat them all.
6. I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday recently and I used most of it to buy Super Mario Galaxy. (Don’t tell me I’m stupid, I already know that.) To my dismay, it requires the use of the nunchuk extension, which I loathe. So I guess I’ll have to get better at it before I can really play it…
7. I originally said I had nothing here, but I see Bloglovin’ wants me to put a link up again if I want to claim this new address. So there, Bloglovin’. Take that. (Actually, I really like Bloglovin’, except once in a while it takes weirdly long to update, as in I’ll visit the blog and see they have new posts up several hours before Bloglovin’ puts them up. That doesn’t happen very much, though.)